Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Sweet Baboon (AKA Buddy)

by Erika on Friday, October 22, 2010  

On Wednesday, 10/20 at 7:14 am Randy Grim of Stray Rescue posted the following...
i have to pluck 5 week old motherless puppies off the street today and i have nowhere to go with them. if you can foster a baby let tara know at tara@strayrescue.org i also rescued a puppy (7 weeks white lab feral) only alive pup. she is alone. needs someone to baby here. and two bone thin puppies in the TRASH, sonny and cher.there are a few large litters at 18th as well. help! i gotta get these today before they die
Randy's post pulled at my heart and while Ryan was getting ready for work I asked if we could foster.  In a moment of weakness and in hopes of keeping me busy, he said ok.  Immediately I emailed Tara, completed a Foster Application and by 1:30 that same day I brought home Baboon.

Baboon is a sweet 14 week old lab/husky/shepherd mix.  He is black with a white chest, a little white on his forehead and nose, and has one black and one blue eye.  He gets along very well with his foster siblings, Annie and Brady.  He was shy at first, but very affectionate and trusted me right away.  Already he seemed to know to go to the bathroom outside.  I bought the puppy food they recommended, but he wasn't eating...no lunch, no dinner.

I thought he might just be nervous so I put him to bed in his well cushioned crate and he slept through the night.  The next day we woke up early and within one hour he peed 5 times, who needs to sleep in beyond 4:45 anyway?  He was a good boy while I went for a run.  He played well with Annie, Brady and the neighbor's dog while Ryan mowed the lawn.  But still he wasn't eating.

I called the Stray Rescue Vet and they made a few recommendations.  I stopped by One Lucky Mutt and picked up some high quality puppy food.  Finally, he ate!  He continued his day at my feet while I worked.

As the day progresses he would nibble a little more, pee outside, drink plenty of water.  He followed me, Annie and Brady around the house like, well, a puppy.  Ryan and I went out to dinner and he went straight to his crate.  Annie was in charge while we were out and we came home to a quiet and peaceful home, she's a good babysitter.

As we settled down for the night little Baboon had an explosive throw up (thankfully in the kitchen).  So much for eating.  It was late and he was still running around, maybe it's still a nervous tummy adjusting to the big changes?

Early this morning he drank and peed.  We napped on the couch for a couple more hours of sleep.  He woke up, more water, more pee, no food.  Then I saw it...green snot and runny eyes.  I immediately separated him from Annie and Brady.  As I set up a cushy private bed in my office, I called the Stray Rescue vet.  His appointment is for 2:00 today, please wish him a fast recovery.





Rest assured, he will continue to get love and support from his foster family.  We will do everything we can to nurse him back to heath.  Upon receiving a clean bill of health we will help him find his forever home

As expected, I have grown very close to this little boy.  I hope he will be ok.  I know there are a lot of things going on in everyone's world.  I understand that the life of a dog may not be as important to you as the life of a human.  But to me, they are the same.  They all deserve the right to be happy and healthy.  Please, find a place in your heart to think of him and the other struggling dogs on the streets, in the shelters and in puppy mills.