Saturday, November 13, 2010

Baboon's Foster Mom

Yeah, that's me.  As I posted on FaceBook, I'm...
Struggling at the prospect of Baboon's adoption as we receive applications through Stray Rescue...I am his foster mom, I can do this. If we find Baboon a forever home then we can help other puppies at the shelter.
Thank you to all my friends with the encouraging comments to my post.  I can do this, I need to do this.  I just need to keep reminding myself of the greater good.

One thing that helps...I know there is at least one lone puppy at the shelter and two of Baboon's litter mates still at the emergency clinic.  If I find Baboon a forever home then I can foster one of the other puppies.  Maybe I can make a difference, one puppy at a time.

Today we met a potential guardian, she was real nice.  Seeing her with her beautiful happy healthy dog was encouraging.  Baboon was very good, but a little distracted by the environment (we met at One Lucky Mutt, lots of good smells).  He got along well with her dog, lots of tail wagging and no signs of aggression (for the record,  I have never seen Baboon show any sign of aggression...ever).  He was well behaved and sat like a good boy.  She said she was interested, I guess we'll see...

I received an application from another potential guardian and responded upon receipt.  I haven't heard anything yet, but she was interested in a few dogs.  Her application looked good, I wonder if she'll want to meet Baboon?  Why wouldn't she want to meet Baboon?

I find myself in an interesting position.  Part of me tears up at the thought of giving Baboon away to his forever home.  The other part of me doesn't understand why everyone doesn't want Baboon.  He really is such a great dog and will be the perfect companion. 

Baboon gets along well with dogs, young and old.  He hasn't met a human he doesn't like.  He's patient and playful with children of all ages.  He plays and runs, but is generally a calm boy.  He provides the perfect mix of snuggling and independence. 

As a reward for being such a good boy today, I gave him a treat.


Don't worry, Annie and Brady got a treat too - even Steven at our house.