Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Baboon Goes Trick-or-Treating

by Erika on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 10:48am
 


As many of you know, the Ballwin Beelers don't participate in Halloween.  We haven't passed out candy to the adorable dressed up children of our neighborhood for years.  We don't boycott the holiday completely, just at our own house where we turn off all the lights and leave.  It's just a matter of time before we get egged.

This year was not much different, we turned out the lights and left.  But this year Ryan had to work and I took Baboon to a friend’s house for chili and socializing (chili was for me, socializing was for Baboon).  The Doerings invited us to their house to pass out the candy and visit; it had been too long since our last visit.  Susan prepared an awesome chili of which I devoured two big bowls.  Soby trick-or-treated with her friend; both went as mimes until they got cold.  Maddi documented the evening with her camera.  It was a fun night!





Once again I was pleasantly surprised by how well Baboon adjusted to the new environment.  Kossy, the Doering's Polish Sheepdog was awesome!  He puts on a big show when non-family members enter the house, but he welcomed Baboon into his home like he was an old friend.  The two got along very well and Kossy shared his toys well.

Even more impressive was how great Baboon was with Maddi and Soby!  Maddi and Soby were excellent dog sitters.  They helped keep an eye on Baboon and walked him outside.  They loved on him and took great care of him.  He was held, hugged, walked and petted by many new people and he took it all in stride.

The only disappointment of the evening was the few children that were scared of My Sweet Baboo.  He's so sweet and gentle, only 16 pounds, what is there to be scared of?  It makes me sad when I see children scared of dogs.  I don't have children, but I do believe that raising children with dogs or other pets helps them learn how to take care of and respect other living things.  I realize there may be other reasons why the kids were scared, but it still makes me sad.

Thank you Doering family for a nice Halloween evening!  Baboon and I had a lot of fun!