Friday, November 5, 2010

Baboon's Massacre

It's really not as violent as it sounds, but Baboon is rough on his toys.  Brady's octopus lost one of it's legs and most of his tennis balls are now bald.  Brady had already destuffed his lobster, but together they continue to rip it to shreds.  And the bunny I bought especially for Baboon, the horrors!  His tail was missing within the fist few minutes and his guts (stuffing) are all over the house. 

Baboon with his Bunny
notice the stuffing spilling out

Better the toys than our shoes or plants!  We are careful not to leave anything out we don't want chewed, but he's actually very good.  If he gets real quiet and disappears, I know he's wondering around my plants.  All I have to do is look at him and he sheepishly walks away.  He is learning, but the dirt in the pots is just too enticing, he has to sniff.

What else has he learned? 
  • To sit when I put on his leash to go outside
  • To wait until his big foster brother goes out first, otherwise he gets trampled
  • To sit while I get his food ready (this is a tricky one, he's very excited for every meal)
  • To sit until I put his dog bowl down (or nearly down)
  • To sit for a treat
  • To come to his name, most of the time
  • To go outside, unless he's really excited
What are we still working on?
  • To sleep more than 6 hours at night
  • To prevent accidents in the crate while I run errands - he's come a long way and doesn't have an accident every time, but still on occasion.
I really am so impressed with how quickly he learns.  I'd like to think it's because I'm an excellent trainer, but too many of you have met my dogs and know they didn't learn it from me.  I think he's just really smart and that his foster siblings are sharing what they know with him. 

Baboon is going to be such a great dog!  He reminds me of my in-law's Molly.  Molly was a great dog too and this post is in honor of her.