Monday, April 4, 2011

The Whole Gang Goes to the Cabin

The weatherman said that spring is here to stay so the Gang and I headed for the Cabin!

We already know that Brady can't be trusted off leash, but we have a doggy gate on the porch so they can enjoy the outside while I do my chores.  All three hung out on the porch while I turned on the water and checked for leaking pipes - none, phew!  Next on the list was to vacuum all signs of mouse activities that took place over the winter (can't blame the mice, it got cold this winter).  As I finished vacuuming the bathroom I noticed something out of the corner of my eye...

The gate was open - YIKES!

Brady was long gone, so was Rubix.  Annie was still on the deck like a good girl.  I grabbed a leash and began screaming for Rubix and Brady.  I have never had Rubix off the leash and had no idea how he would do, how far he would go...I was scared.  After only two calls, Rubix came bounding up from the dock like a good boy.  I was so proud!  Annie and I escorted Rubix back to the Cabin while we continued looking for Brady. 

Brady usually runs along the shore to the beach.  Luckily, the water level is still low and I was able to follow his tracks in the mud.  I continued hollering his name and after a few minutes (that felt like forever), he ran to me.  I think the training we worked on this winter helped in having him return to me.  He used to take off and avoid "capture", but this time he came back on his own and came to me when I saw him.  He readily allowed me to put on his leash and return to the Cabin. 

The moral of the story, Brady still can not be trusted off leash and the doggy gate needs a new latch.

But how cool is it that Rubix can be trusted off leash?!!?  He was awesome!  We went on a walk and he never got out of my sight.  He immediately returned to me when called.  He may still have some issues, but knowing his name and staying close to his mom makes up for it all!  So proud of my boy Rubix.